A member of the cruciferous vegetable family (think broccoli, cauliflower, kale etc), brussel sprouts are extremely high in vitamins K and C and are a good source of minerals and antioxidants. Brussel sprouts have been credited for their ability to lower bad cholesterol and protect white blood cells within the body against DNA damage.
Cauliflower is nutrient dense vegetable and like brussel sprouts contains a compound called sulforaphane which has been linked to helping promote digestive health and is also used for the prevention of prostate cancer.
Green beans are high in antioxidants and support cardiovascular health. Like brussel sprouts and cauliflower, green beans have an anti-inflammatory effect on the body that helps fight against cancer.
I like to make this recipe with ghee which has a high smoke point and is revered in ayurvedic medicine for aiding digestion and detoxifying, however it’s just as tasty made with butter. It can also be made with olive oil for those who prefer to avoid dairy.
- 400g/14oz brussel sprouts
- 300g/10.5oz cauliflower
- 300g/10.5oz green beans
- 3 schallots/baby spring onions
- 50g/1.75oz pine nuts
- 50g/1.75oz ghee/butter or 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (juice of around half a small lemon)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Bring a frying pan to a medium high heat and toast the pinenuts for a couple of minutes, tossing regularly until browned. Remove from heat and set aside
- Steam the green beans for a couple of minutes, ensuring they remain crunchy. Set aside
- Grate the brussel sprouts in a food processor, or by hand or alternatively they can be finely chopped
- Cut the cauliflower into small florets, not more than an inch in size
- Finely chop the shallots
- Bring a frying pan to a medium heat and add the ghee/butter or olive oil then fry the cauliflower for around a minute, then add the brussel sprouts and shallots and fry for another 2 minutes until the vegetables are starting to turn golden brown then add the beans and stir through until warm
- Stir through the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper
- Remove from heat, sprinkle with the pine nuts and serve immediately
Serves 4 as a side