It’s winter in Australia and broccolini is in season. A member of the cruciferous vegetable family, broccolini is rich vitamin C and just a single cup serve contains the recommended daily intake of this vitamin which is a powerful antioxidant. Broccolini is also rich in vitamin A, an essential nutrient for eye health and contains plenty of potassium which helps support brain function, muscle growth and a healthy nervous system.
This recipe makes a great side dish and the pancetta and almonds really boost the flavour making it appealing to the whole family.
- 1 bunch broccolini
- 35g/1.25oz pancetta
- 30g/1oz almonds (you can use raw or toasted if you prefer), roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Steam the broccolini for a couple of minutes until tender but still nice and crunchy
- Bring a frying pan to a medium-high heat, add a little olive oil and toast the almonds for a couple of minutes until they’re just starting to brown. Set aside
- Again, bring a frying pan to a medium-high heat, add a little olive oil and cook for a minute or two each side. Set aside
- For the last time, bring a frying pan to a medium heat, add a little olive oil and cook the garlic for 30 seconds or a little more until lightly turning brown then add the broccolini to the pan for another minute.
- Serve the garlic and broccolini sprinkled with the fried pancetta and toasted almonds